NMIT is buying a SL island

NMIT is buying a SL island

by Clare Atkins -
Number of replies: 5
Many of you will have seen the reports in the Nelson Mail or the media release issued last week and it is true, we are buying an 'island' in Second Life! We hope to be working on this during semester 2 and have island space available for trials, investigations and explorations from the beginning of 2008. I am hoping that this will involve a considerable amount of collaborative activity, both in terms of setting up the island and in the ways in which we explore its use. At present this initiative is in its very early days and NMIT is not committed to offering any courses or programmes in Second Life at the moment. Instead our primary objective is to explore and discover ways in which it could enhance our students learning. If you are interested in knowing more please contact me and watch this space for more information over the coming weeks.

In reply to Clare Atkins

Re: NMIT is buying a SL island

by Deleted user -

I'd certainly be interested in test driving your island Clare smile

I have a small level 6 collaborative technologies class in Semester 2 that may opt to use it as part of their project. I understand Peter will be keen to sign up too.

In reply to Deleted user

by Clare Atkins -

We look forward to welcoming you John!! If the island itself isn't ready in time for your class I am sure we could come to an arrangment over the use of the NMIT garden on EduIsland. Happy to help in anyway I can.

In reply to Clare Atkins

by Deleted user -

I heard a lot of second life, and is passionate about the educational use of it. But I am absolutely a newbie , I would be happy to get involved, please advise how I should do to learn more.

Xin

In reply to Deleted user

by Clare Atkins -
Hi Xin - welcome to our site! It is always great to hear from people who are interested in the educational possiblities of virtual environments (and for now that really means Second Life).
You don't mention whether you have already created an avatar for yourself but if you have it would be good to know your SL name, then I can contact you inworld and introduce you to some of the other Kiwi educators that are here. If you haven't been there yet, I would suggest that is the first thing to do. Go to the Second Life website, create your avatar (no cost involved) and start a little inworld investigation.
My SL name is Arwenna Stardust and you are welcome to contact me inworld.
Look forward to meeting up with you!
clare
In reply to Clare Atkins

by Deleted user -

Hi Clare,

I got myself a second life name which is Shirley Korobase. Hope I can find you and explore more about this new world.

Cheers,

Xin