Second Life Best Practices in Education Conference

Second Life Best Practices in Education Conference

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 3

Registration is now being taken for the first Second Life International Best Practices in Education Conference!

The conference will be held on May 25, 2007 (May 26 in New Zealand of course) in venues all over the Second Life world, with exciting presentations, vendors and exhibitors, and everything an educator needs to know to get started exploring the possibilities for teaching, learning, and research in Second Life!

To register go to http://slbestpractices2007.wikispaces.com/

Look forward to seeing you there.

Regards

Aaron/Isa Goodman

In reply to Deleted user

Re: Second Life Best Practices in Education Conference

by Deleted user -

I have just had this weekend what I can only describe as a unique experience, that being attendance at the first Second Life International Best Practices in Education Conference. Held over a 24 hour period the conference was a meticulously planned and extremely well run event. Not only were there overflow locations to handle the huge number of people attending and Skype backup for the majority of presentations but SLCN TV broadcasts for all keynotes plus the more popular events, even down to the narration and broadcast of one event that was text-based.

As they become available I'll supply links to the audio broadcasts and slide presentations but in the interim here are a number of links to interesting observations on a number of individual presentations, from the MUVE Forward blog.

Keynote Speaker: Ken Hudson (Kenny Hubble-SL): Ken Hudson is the e-Learning Facilitator at Loyalist College, Belleville, Canada.

Validating & Recognizing Skills by Chris Swaine (Chris Eggplant-SL): Chris works for the National Institute for Adult Continuing Education in the UK.

Keynote Speaker: Sarah Robbins (Intellagirl ully-SL): A PhD student in Rhetoric and Composition at Ball State University.

An Observational Survey of Educational Institutions in the Virtual World of Second Life by Chris Collins (Fleep Tuque). Chris is from the University of Cincinatti.

Not quite my own thoughts on the subject but so closely aligned it seemed a waste of space to reiterate them in my words.

Look out for further comments, links to audio etc.

Regards
Aaron/Isa Goodman

Isa's SL Blog

In reply to Deleted user

by Deleted user -

I find the last two links to be the most interesting and useful as they provide a great checklist for an educational SL space in terms of first the social ambiance and secondly the more mudane but equally important aspects - like actually finding the meeting place!

I hope you'll put up heaps morelinks as I was unabe to attend as my rural broadband at home is too slow to connect to SL. What a pity the conference wasn't timed to be during our working week.

In reply to Deleted user

by Deleted user -

John

Have (and will continue as I find them) posted a number of new links to conference items on my Eduforge blog. Rather than recreate them here just pop over to Eduforge to get them.

Regards

Aaron/Isa Goodman